A 14-month-old daughter died in Long Island yesterday after being alone inside a boiling-hot SUV for eight hours. The event occurred on Redwood Lane, near the Long Island Rail Road station in Smithtown, and shocked the neighborhood.
Around 4:20 p.m. on Monday, Suffolk County police received a troubling call about an unresponsive youngster.
They hurried the toddler to Saint Catherine of Siena Medical Center, but she could not be rescued despite their best efforts.
An inquiry into the tragic occurrence found that the baby’s grandmother, a 54-year-old lady from Greenlawn, was in charge of the kid on that fateful day.
According to a news statement from the Suffolk County Police Department, the grandmother was meant to drop off her granddaughter at a childcare center that morning.
Instead of sticking to the schedule, she drove directly to work, leaving the toddler alone in the back seat of her maroon 2018 Jeep Cherokee.
The grandmother discovered her granddaughter was still inside the car eight hours later when she went to pick up the toddler from the daycare center on Redwood Lane.
Authorities suspect the child died from the vehicle’s severe heat and the blistering 80-degree weather outside.
“When the outside temperature is around 80 degrees, the in-car temperature could reach a scorching 123 degrees after just one hour,” AccuWeather.com noted.
This emphasizes the grave danger of leaving a youngster unattended in a car, especially in hot weather.
The community is mourning the loss of the young child in the aftermath of this terrible occurrence. As word spread, condolence notes flooded in from friends and neighbors, expressing their sorrow and support for the family during this difficult time.
The grandmother, whom authorities have not identified, has yet to face any charges regarding the child’s death.
The police, on the other hand, promised the public that the inquiry was still underway and that they would thoroughly investigate all of the facts surrounding the unfortunate accident.
This tragic tragedy serves as a strong reminder to all caretakers of the significance of attentiveness and double-checking when it comes to the protection of children. Even a few minutes of leaving a toddler alone in a car might have disastrous repercussions.
As the community mourns this tragic loss, local officials and child safety advocates urge everyone to be cautious and take every step possible to guarantee the safety of children in automobiles.
This tragedy should remind everyone of the significance of checking cars for occupants before walking away, especially in hot weather.
Let us all work together to avoid such heartbreaking incidents from happening again.